Q: Went to get inspected and the Nissan garage said I had rusty rotors and the only fix is to replace them along with new brake pads.

Rusty rotors on a 2012 Nissan Altima with 13500 miles on it. Nissan wants to replace the rotors and brake pads. Should have it checked by another mechanic before I proceed to have it repaired.

A: The rusted rotors are from not driving the ...

The rusted rotors are from not driving the vehicle that often. When the rotors get wet and sit for a few days they will get rusted, even when new. If you are getting a grinding noise then the work will fix them until the new ones get rusted over again. You could get another mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to come and replace the brake rotors and pads for you. You may save some money using aftermarket parts and less cost per labor hour.