Q: What may cause the starter to engage when shifting the shifter?

After the truck is started when you shift from any gear to or past reverse it may engage the starter. When in drive the od light may flash but it does not go into a limp mode. it seams to be possibly bleeding voltage affecting abs while in the drive position also. This is not constant. it is only occasional and weather conditions do not seam to matter

Hi there. Check the neutral safety switch and the shifter circuitry. It is possible to have a short in the wiring causing the starter to engage while shifting gears. Look for any wires that may be shorting out with the starter relay circuit that is either within the neutral safety switch circuit or the shifter circuitry. Repair any wiring that is burned or fused together. If you need further assistance with your starter engaging when shifting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. What may cause the starter to engage when shifting the shifter?