Q: My car dies while driving and now it won't even crank. The lights still come on though.

My grand prix has an after market remote start. I lost the remote start so my dad wired a toggle switch strait from the battery to the starter. It worked at first. The next morning I started my car, drove about 10 miles then my car dies without warning. Won't crank at all. I figured it had something to do with what my dad installed so I tried to arc the starter with a screwdriver to get it home but it doesnt work. The starter starts smoking really bad. I'm confused because the starter can't cause the car to die while driving it right? Please help.