Q: 2001 Ford Taurus automatic transmission wont change into 2nd

asked by on February 18, 2017

When I bought the car it had been sitting for bout a year. Drove it and noticed a slight delay when it changed from 2nd into 3rd but it went away. After almost a year it started slipping between gears and even when I started from a stop and pressed gas it would slip. It was low on fluid, filled up but it was leaking from somewhere. Replaced filter and gasket still having problems. It would take awhile for it to finally catch gears. Rpms would rev high and make a whining noise but would change into gears. Then it just wont change from low gear (1st) to 2nd. It goes into reverse fine. Anymore please help...

The function of transmission fluid is to not only lubricate the internal moving parts and get the car moving, but to keep the transmission in it’s proper temperature range. Constant driving with a low fluid level will cause the transmission to run hot, which is the enemy of transmission life. Slipping even after a fluid and filter change indicates that the transmission is in need of repair or overhaul. Low fluid and higher temperatures accelerates wear to the clutches inside the transmission. Once they wear beyond a certain point, slippage and/or no movement of the vehicle are the result. Take the vehicle to a local transmission specialist for an assessment.