Q: Low oil pressure light

asked by on February 23, 2016

The low oil pressure light has come on, and it looks like the oil pump needs replacing and the sensor needs cleaning.

Oil pump failure can happen on high mileage vehicles. This is normal due to engine wear and oil pump wear. Before replacing the oil pump, I would suggest having it properly inspected. A qualified mechanic can perform an oil pressure test with a gauge. This will give a clear and accurate reading of the condition of the pump. If the pump is generating good pressure the sensor might be the only thing that needs replacing. Oil pumps are meant to last the life of the engine. So unless your vehicle is a very high mileage for a 2010 Camaro, the sending unit is the most common culprit. If you need assistance, a certified mechanic inspect your Low Oil Light and make the necessary repairs for your vehicle.