Q: Engine leaking oil and making noise

My engine is leaking oil, and I hear multiple engine noises.

Hi. The common components on any given vehicle that produce oil leaks are the valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket. The leaks will usually occur on vehicles above 80,000 miles but can occur as low as 50,000 miles. If the oil level of a leaking engine is not regularly monitored, oil starvation may occur. Oil starvation is the leading cause for engine failures. Most engine noises indicate an internal engine failure or lack of lubrication. There is a possibility that if the oil of the vehicle is changed quickly enough, no extreme damage to the engine will occur.

The longer an engine experiences a lack of lubrication the more damage that will occur. The exact cause of the engine noise will be best diagnosed by a technician in person to determine if the noise is internal or external. Being that the engine is leaking oil and that there is a small window before oil starvation becomes engine fatal, I would not recommend driving the vehicle until the oil is properly changed or checked. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, the diagnose the engine noise and repair what is necessary.