Q: Growling noise from car. Could be the AC compressor, alternator, or power steering.

I have a growling noise issuing form my engine. A mechanic replaced the belt and tensioner, but that was not the problem. Two other mechanics have said it is either the AC compressor, alternator, or power steering unit.

All of the possible causes mentioned could be the issue. All of these parts have pulleys that are ran off of the serpentine belt. Most of the pulleys have bearings inside them that allow them to spin freely. If a bearing loses its lubrication, it will become dry and therefore heat up. Once the bearing becomes overheated it will start to make growling sounds. I would recommend the help of a YourMechanic technician. The technician will be able to use an automotive stethoscope to diagnose which pulley is the source of the problem.

3. Growling noise from car. Could be the AC compressor, alternator, or power steering.