Q: Key and steering wheel have to be moved to start the car

In the last year or so, I've been having problems with starting the car. Whenever I put the key into the ignition, it would start eventually. However, I would have to keep moving the key as well as the steering wheel simultaneously so as to start it. It worked every time, but yesterday I didn't manage to start the car that way. What should I check first?

A: Hello there, thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK430. There are many possible causes for this fault. The most common would be a failing key cylinder, steering wheel lock, or ignition switch. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car's location to diagnose the key turning problem and let you know what repairs are needed.