Q: Key and steering wheel have to be moved to start the car

In the last year or so, I've been having problems with starting the car. Whenever I put the key into the ignition, it would start eventually. However, I would have to keep moving the key as well as the steering wheel simultaneously so as to start it. It worked every time, but yesterday I didn't manage to start the car that way. What should I check first?

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK430. There are many possible causes for this fault. The most common would be a failing key cylinder, steering wheel lock, or ignition switch. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose the key turning problem and let you know what repairs are needed.

3. Key and steering wheel have to be moved to start the car