Q: How do I check the transmission fluid?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I check the transmission fluid?

Your transmission needs fluid just like your engine needs oil and for the same reasons. It lubricates and reduces heat, while providing the pressure needed for the transmission to operate. Keeping an eye on your fluid level is important to prevent damage. Here’s how:

1. Drive your car for about 20 miles to warm up the fluid.

2. Park it level.

3. Keep your foot on the brake and cycle through the gears.

4. Leave the engine running.

5. Open the hood.

6. Locate the transmission dipstick and pull it out. Wipe off the fluid and put it back in the tube.

7. Pull the dipstick out again and check the fluid level. It should be between the line at Do Not Add and the line above Add/Check Hot. If it is below the Add/Check Hot line, you need to add more.