Q: Want to know if the transfer case clutches from a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton will work in my 2003 Chevy 1/2 ton.

my 4 wheel drive went out in my 2003 chevy Silverado and after the shop tried replacing the actuator and the transfer case motor they said it is the transfer case clutches that are bad. I have a 2000 chevy Silverado for parts and was wondering if the transfer cases are the same and would be interchangeable. The vin # for the 2003 is 2GCEK19T331186127 and the vin # for the 2000 is 2GCEK19T5Y1158501. The mechanic is having a hard time getting answers for me so any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there. Both vehicles should have an NP 246 transfer case in them. Check the casting number on the transfer cases and make sure that they both say 246 on them. If so, then yes they are interchangeable and you can swap the parts. If the transfer cases are different, then they will not be interchangeable.