Q: About the governor in engine

Hi....this is Shareef. I am studying engineering. Generally,governor is used to regulate the fuel supply of fuel to the engine.if speed increases the fuel supply is less.If speed reduces then supply may be high.actually,in automobiles have KMPL system, in kmpl system there should be rated economic speed,if speed more than that of economy reduces due to over speed.so from above we know that IF SPEED INCREASES THEN FUEL SUPPLY IS LESS. so how it is possible???

A: Hi there. Governors in a fuel system are ba...

Hi there. Governors in a fuel system are basically a three-way valve. There is a supply port, exit port, and a dump port. As the fuel pressure regulator is set the fuel pressure will remain the same as when the fuel pressure regulator dumps fuel back into the return line to the fuel tank. If you were to close the gap to the dump port, then the fuel pressure will increase. If you were to open the fuel dump port, then the fuel pressure will be low.

When there is a demand of fuel, meaning the throttle is at wide open throttle (WOT), then the fuel pump will produce more flow and the regulator will adjust automatically either electronic or vacuum to decrease fuel pressure but increase the flow. It is like operating a water hose, crimp the end and have a slow spray to a distance away, but when you turn the valve on more, the pressure increases and the water sprays farther. You would have to let off some of the crimp to keep the water spraying in the same location where it was before.