Q: Car shuts off after jump-starting

I drove a small amount one day and then left it at home. The next day, I found it had a dead battery. A couple of days ago, I charged the battery. When I try to start it, it will start for a couple of seconds and then shuts off. What is the next step to finding what the problem is and your advice please?

A: Hello. It sounds like the alternator has fa...

Hello. It sounds like the alternator has failed and is not charging the battery. The purpose of the alternator is to take over for the battery once the car has started. If the alternator is not working properly, then the car may shut off or die. Have a certified technician, come and test your charging system and replace the alternator if necessary.