Q: Car began knocking after an oil change, then exploded blowing 2 holes in the side and the oil pan off

After an oil change my brother in laws mustang began knocking horibbly. He had not been driving it but, last night he was moving it from the house that he was storing it his mothers house. while driving it, it "exploded" (his terms, i have not seen it yet). He said that there are 2 big holes in the side of the engine block and the oil pan blew off. What could cause this?

It may be hard to figure out why the engine failed without knowing if the oil leaked out or was not filled up. I have seen situations where after performing an oil change the oil leaked out from an oil plug that fell out since it was not tightened up completely. I have also seen people make the mistake of not adding oil after the plug was installed. A failed oil pump is also a possibility. The engine will do what was described only if the engine was starved of oil.

If you need assistance with repairing the car, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose and service the vehicle.

3. Car began knocking after an oil change, then exploded blowing 2 holes in the side and the oil pan off