Q: P0706. don't want to pay Audi $2,000. or more.

P0706. PRNDS flash intermittently. limp mode no reverse lights. Audi told me the TCM is under the hood. Not inside the tranny. It doesn't need to go on a liift or special tools. After reading. (I really hope) I doesn't needs to be replaced and reprogramed. At $100. Per hour labor. & over $2,000. For a new TCM. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot it. I really can't pay Audi thousands of dollars, in parts labor, when it could be a sensor or something else? That could save me hundreds instead of half the price I paid for the car. I don't like going to Audi. I get a pit in my stomach because I'm a woman. And they assume that I'm rich and stupid. Can you give me a quote or any suggestions. I'm hesitant to do anything without knowing for certain what I'm getting myself into.

Hello and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The dealership Audi is likely trying to sell you. I am fairly your problem is not the TCM (Transmission Control Module - transmission computer). What is wrong with your transmission is the transmission range selector. The part is located on the shifter on the transmission. The part is easy to get to and remove.

Your vehicle will have to go on a lift to find the range selector. The code P0706 stands for (Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit Range / Performance). The dash shows PRNDS to let you know that the computer doesn’t know what gear the transmission is in. I recommend replacing the transmission range sensor. If you need assistance replacing the sensor, or would like a second diagnosis of the Check Engine code, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to have this issue addressed appropriately.

3. P0706. don't want to pay Audi $2,000. or more.