Q: Problem with AC/heater - 2005 Ford Explorer

i have a problem with my ac/heater system. I turn on ac/heater to blow through the air vents and it blows out the defrost vents (near the windshield). Also the vents in the 2nd and 3rd seater only blow cold air which will be a problem come winter. Please let me know what the problem is if possible. It blows strong air out the vents but then the front air vents switch straight to the defrost vents after a couple of minutes and stays blowing ac/heater through the defrost vents. Also I hear a a ticking noise from the back of the car when I turn the back vents on sounding as if the switch back ther for ac/heater is going out.

Hello. The problems you describe with the front system may either be a faulty control switch or faulty vacuum motors for the air blend doors. The problem in the rear is likely the rear heater control valve, which regulates the flow of hot coolant to the rear heater core and air duct system. The clicking noise may be a broken vacuum motor for that valve (integrated in the valve).

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to perform an inspection of the heater and suggest the needed repairs.