Q: Why would my Cadillac escalade overheat? It's at 215,000 miles.

asked by on September 29, 2016

Our Cadillac Escalade 2003 with 215,000 miles has just started overheating and we have no idea what could be causing this.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to try to help you with this issue.

One thing that can cause an overheat is a clogged cooling system. If any part of the cooling/heating system is clogged, then the coolant cannot circulate. The radiator or heater core could be clogged.

Another is that the thermostat is not opening.

An overheat could also be due to the cooling fan not coming on due to a bad relay, bad fan motor, or bad temperature sensor.

One other thing that this overheating could be caused by is a failed water pump. The water pump impeller could have sheered off internally and is not circulating coolant.

If the cooling system has never been serviced or it’s been some time since it has, the least expensive place to start is replacing the thermostat and flushing the cooling system.

If you would like help looking at your car, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this overheating issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.