Q: Does my car need new brake pads and rotors?

car has original brake pads and rotors one repair place said all four wheels need pads and rotors the other said rear pads only but pads and rotors in the front i thought if pads are replaced before they wear out the rotors do not have to be replaced. both places said the pads still have about 4000 miles left on them

Hi there:

In most instances, if the brake pads have not fully worn out, the rotors will not suffer scarring or pitting which typically means the rotors need to be surfaced or replaced. However, it really depends on the damage that has been done or if the rotors may have been warped due to excessive heat or braking. Before you take your vehicle to any of these shops, you might want to have professional mobile mechanics complete a brake pads and rotor inspection to give you an accurate assessment of the repairs you need to have completed on your Volvo.