Q: Truck won't start after battery replacement

This afternoon I had some trouble with my truck not wanting to start. Before that, today, I had driven it a good bit, but then late in the day it would not start. All the lights are working, as well as the radio and other usual things. Thinking that it was the old battery, I replaced it with a new one and after making sure everything was properly connected, it started with no problem. Two hours later, it wouldn't start! The same problem was recurring. The lights and radio still work when I have the key in the ignition, but the engine won't turn over when I try to crank it. I have checked the spark plugs and they seem okay. As I mentioned, I replaced the battery with a brand new one. When I try to crank it with the headlights on, there is no change. It just will not catch. I hear it trying to start, but when I turn the key in the ignition, the engine will not start. I am thinking that it might be the alternator. What is your advice as to what is causing this so that I can fix it?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1995 Isuzu Pickup. You said you hear it trying to start, which means to me that it is cranking but not starting. If the engine cranks normally but doesn’t start, the cause is almost always lack of fuel or spark. Since you said this only happens after a heat sink, I’d be willing to bet the problem is electrical. Electrical resistance increases with temperature. The problem could be anything from a failed crankshaft position sensor to faulty fuel injectors. If the Check Engine Light is on, you’ll want to start the diagnostic process by checking the corresponding diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These codes serve as a starting point for any further diagnostics. If no DTCs are stored, you’ll want to start by checking fuel pressure, injector pulse, and spark. Troubleshooting modern vehicles can be a complex process, so, I suggest you leave this one to the professionals. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to retrieve DTCs or inspect why your car is not starting.