Q: What tips should be followed when using the universal garage door opener?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What tips should be followed when using the universal garage door opener?

If your car is equipped with a universal garage door opener, it provides you with a convenient way to get into your garage and eliminates the need to carry a handheld remote in your car. However, there are some important tips to follow regarding this system:

• Don’t program the garage door with the car in the garage – you should be outside, and the door and opener should have no obstructions.

• Don’t use the garage door opener if your system does not have a safety stop and reverse feature.

• Keep your old remote – you’ll need it for reprogramming.

• Erase the codes stored in the garage door opener if you sell or trade in your car.

• While the garage door opener can be programmed to work with a community gate, you’ll need to follow the gate manufacturer’s instructions.

• If you accidentally enter Programming mode, don’t press any other buttons for several seconds. The system will automatically go back to normal.

• Don’t damage your driver side sun visor – this is where the garage door opener is installed.