Q: oil pan threads are damaged

in january i took my car to get an oil changed at meineke. they told me that the oil pan threads were damaged and that the oil pan would need to be replaced and it would cost around 450.00 to get it replaced. i didnt have that kind of money and asked if there was anything else that could be done, they put an oversized drain plug but said that would be a temporary fix and next time i would have to get a new oil pan. does it really cost that much to have it replaced and is there a less expensive way to fix it? my car is a honda accord ex 2003

A: I would use a fluid extractor to drain the ...

I would use a fluid extractor to drain the fluid out through the dip stick hole and then replace the oil filter and refill the oil. By doing it this way you can change the oil without removing the oil drain plug.

This is another alternative besides installing another oil pan. The plug threads may still be able to be reused a couple more times using the over sized plug they put in. However, it's likely that it may not and you will be forced to replace the oil pan. They do make a rubber plug but it is only a temporary fix as well.

If you decide to get this fix, reach out to a certified mechanic who can replace your oil pan as necessary and at your own convenience.