Q: I'm getting two ignition coils replaced on my 2007 Honda Fit and it will cost me 280 without labor. This sounds weird

asked by on March 23, 2017

Hi Patrick, I'm getting two ignition coils replaced on my 2007 Honda Fit and it will cost me 280 without labor. This sounds weird since I called other dealerships and shops that quoted me around the same price with labor. I'm I about to be ripped off. By the way I'm getting it no labor because I went in to have a problem fixed but they fixed a different problem so I had to go back in after my car shut down on me again.

Hi there. If your engine is stalling out on you and the shop has said that the issue is your ignition coils, try checking the coils and see if there is a spark coming out of them by removing the coil and putting a spark tester on it and checking for spark. If there is spark, then the ignition coils are working, but they could be weak. Adjust the spark tester to a gap of 60 and see if the spark is still emitting. If it does, then the ignition coils are good and the spark plugs maybe need replaced. If the engine is stalling out and there is spark but the coils are shutting down, then check the crankshaft position sensor to see if there is a loose contact or if the sensor is damaged. A crankshaft position sensor that is intermittently failing will cause the ignition coils to stop working at the time that the sensor is not working.

Before ruling out the ignition coils, be sure to check all the components of spark, air, and fuel with compression before having the coil replaced. Make sure that all of the sensors are functioning properly and that the engine oil is clean. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling out, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.