Q: Leaking exhaust

asked by on March 24, 2016

There are leaks in the exhaust.

In my experience, I have found that it is not uncommon for Jeeps to develop exhaust leaks over time. The most common exhaust leak can be found in the the gaskets between the various exhaust joints, which are held together with bolts. It is also common to see the exhaust manifold itself develop cracks and leak there.

The best way to locate an exhaust leak is with the use of a smoke machine. This machine fills the exhaust system with a harmless smoke and wherever there are leaks, smoke will escape, making it easy to find multiple leaks. Enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic will help to not only find this leak, but also provide a proper in person diagnosis on what needs to be done to repair it.