Q: Hey Robert I have a 2004 lexus ES 330, and it is leaking oil all over the under carriage of vehicle, but when I check oil level, i

I went in for an oil change and was told by the Bay tech that there was oil all over the under chassis. When driving the car you can smell the oil burning, but when checking the oil level by dip stick it registers full. Is this a gasket replacement issue?

When it comes to oil leaks, if your car is typical, there is probably more than one leak point. Without pre-cleaning the engine, it is possible to put a fluorescent dye into the engine oil, run the engine, and then use a UV detection light to see the tagged (fluorescent) oil as it leaks out. Even if the engine is cleaned up, you may still have to use that technique to find all the leaks. What you may end up doing is just fixing the biggest leaks because to really fix all oil leaks in many engines you have to literally remove the engine and partially disassemble it particularly when it comes to camshaft seals, rear main seals, torque converter seals and so forth. In fact, seals and gaskets have turned out to be the weak link in modern engines. Mechanically, engines seem to last forever but inasmuch as the seals are typically rubber products they fail relatively early creating a big mess as you are finding out. If you desire, a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, can perform an oil leak diagnostic and then let you know of your repair options and costs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hey Robert I have a 2004 lexus ES 330, and it is leaking oil all over the under carriage of vehicle, but when I check oil level, i