Q: Master cylinder went out, now there is a loud noise coming from the brakes.

Is there a loud noise that is associated with your master cylinder going out? When I push on my break petal there is a horribly loud noise and it goes all the way to the floor but still doesn't allow my car to come to a complete stop.

A: Brake noises are not generally associated w...

Brake noises are not generally associated with the master cylinder. A failed master cylinder can cause a low or spongy brake pedal but generally does not make any noises. If however you hear a loud hissing sound when the brakes are applied, the power/vacuum brake booster may have a vacuum leak.

Grinding noises while braking generally indicate that front, rear, or all 4 brakes are badly worn. When the brake pad friction material is worn away, the metal backing plates for the brake pads will grind against the brake discs, causing a loud grinding sound. A low brake pedal and poor brake performance will also occur.

I highly suggest you have an inspection done on the brakes as soon as possible. YourMechanic has technicians readily available to come to your location, give you a personal diagnoses of the issue, and can also assist you with the necessary repairs.