Q: Q: Out of engine oil

I have a 2003 Hyundai sonata and my motor locked, due to no oil but the oil light was never on until I was driving home on the interstate., Car made a weird noise and then cut off so the oil light and check engine light came on, but the radio and lights were still on. I've added oil that same day, changed the battery, and tried to give it a jump off. Nothing happen it won't turn over, it just tick whenever I try. My oil change was due 07/26 @ 117,000 old miles. It broke down last Saturday night. At 122,000 old miles. I just tried to hand turn it today but it only moved a little. Also the SAT it broke down my car did not run hot. But the coolant was low. That next day (Sun) my uncle tried jumping it off didn't really work but he also switched the starter fuse around (it was like 3-4 fuse with the same info on it). And it cranked up I drove less than 1 mile. Trying to make it home, when it made a weird flapping noise, it jerked and then died again on the ramp getting off the interstate.

The sound you are hearing is likely related to the lack of sufficient oil in the motor, which may have also caused the motor to overheat and shut down. When this happens, a number of things may cause the motor to not run properly or not start. As the motor overheats, the internal components begin to expand causing things to eventually breakdown the oil heating it up faster and faster. As whatever limited oil is in the engine is pushed around, it becomes hotter and hotter. It becomes hotter because the oil isn’t allowed enough time to cool down before it is required to go back into the engine and do its job. Several reactions happen to the oil, to include oxidation, thermal degradation, and compressive heating. All of this breakdown creates the regular: tar; sludge; varnish; soot, etc, which begins to start being deposited on the internals of your engine, such as the rings, bearings, cylinder walls or anywhere else oil would normally flow. As these carbon substances continue to deposit, any part which comes in contact with them gets wear on them as carbon can become quite hard and/or sticky under the right circumstances. This starts creating more friction on these parts as a result of the oil has breaking down and now heating (due to more friction), creating deposits, and causing the engine to heat up very quickly. Eventually, this will increase to a point when something such as a piston rod will break resulting in catastrophic damage to the motor beyond repair. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose.

3. Q: Out of engine oil