Q: 2005 Pontiac G6 not going into gear

asked by on February 09, 2016

When I put my car in park and took my foot off of the brake pedal, the car rolled forward. Also, when I put my car in drive and then into reverse, the reverse gear won't catch. Finally, if I turn my car off after starting it, it won't start back up.

There are a couple of possibilities for this concern. The most common issue is a faulty transmission range switch. If the coded output from the range switch is received incorrectly by the PCM you will get incorrect operation of the transmission and possible a no start scenario. Another possibility is a bad solenoid causing issues. A read of the faults stored in the PCM can help to narrow down the faulty component. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment and expertise to diagnose and recommend the correct course of repair.