Q: At red light, engine revved high and lurched forward

asked by on July 07, 2016

My new 2016 car is having transmission trouble. When I stopped at a light, my car wouldn’t engage in Drive. The engine revved very high and was lurching forward, kind of like hiccups. Fortunately there were no cars in front or behind my car. If there had been, there would have been an accident and I would have been hit on both ends. Even though it finally did engage, I don’t feel safe driving it. Before I take my car to the dealership, can you please give me your advice and a diagnosis. Thank you.

Hi. That’s a scary situation you were in. I’m glad you didn’t get into an accident. Okay, it seems like the new CX5’s have been having transmission issues for the past couple years now. Some of the new transmissions have been known to give out quickly, not even a thousand miles into being driven. Many CX5 owners have had similar occurrences and had it replaced under warranty because they all were new CX5’s. It is likely that the transmission is faulty.

The only other things that I’ve seen in my experience which will cause that drivability concern is that something was spilled on the gear shift which contaminated the shift circuit. I doubt this is your case but make sure that there’s nothing spilt around the shifter.

This is a serious concern, I’d suggest having the vehicle looked at in person by a certified mechanic who can diagnose the rough driving symptoms you’ve experienced in order to get this fixed.