Q: Car shut down and will not start. Warning lights are on - 2006 Toyota Highlander

The car shut down and not starting again displaying "Check Hybrid System" and "Check VSC System". All warning lights came up.

I removed the negative lead of 12V battery for few minutes and placed back. Started the car, it came up but engine did not run. The two negative, positive warning lights of hybrid system went off but other warning lights including ABS, P/S, BRAKE, red and yellow warning lights did not go off.

Right now, it is still showing Check Hybrid System and Check VSC System. Scanner is pointing to "Generator Inverter Performance". What does this mean? And What can I do? I need professional advice so that nothing is damaged ignorantly.

A: Hello. From what you describe, it would app...

Hello. From what you describe, it would appear that your vehicle is having some sort of electrical issues. The "Generator Inverter Performance" warning comes on when the computer detects an issue with the vehicle's electrical generator inverter. The generator inverter is the component that converts the high current electricity from the vehicle's hybrid battery into a lower power form of electricity that is useable by the vehicle's various systems.

The inverter is located in the engine bay, as the silver box on top of the engine. Unfortunately, the inverter is a critical component to the functionality of the hybrid system, and therefore to the operation of the vehicle, and, as a result, needs to be repaired or replaced before the vehicle will run again.

The VSC system warning light comes on when the computer detects an issue with the vehicle's stability control system. This is usually due to a fault with the wheel speed sensors or the ABS module, though electrical issues can sometimes effect this system as well and cause it to behave erratically. I would start by taking care of the generator inverter issue and going from there.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection to determine why the warning lights are on and suggest any needed repairs.