Q: Dome lights will not turn on when door opened, radio will not turn off when car is off and door is opened.

2003 pontiac grand am Factory stereo I just bought the car and did not notice either of this issues until I got it home last night, I opened the door and the radio stayed on. I know some radios have a set time limit so I sat and waited for 5 minutes to no avail. I closed the door and opened it multiple times and when I did that I noticed the dome light will not turn on when the drive side door is opened. When the passenger door is opened it turns on. And yes I did check to make sure that it was set to turn on when the door is open and it still didn't work. I turned the car on and off multiple times and fought with the door till it finally turned off one time after turn the car on and off and opening the door for like the 4th or 5th time. What could cause this? I really do not want a dead battery.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle is likely having issues with the door switch which activates/shuts down both circuits. This is going to look like a peg in the door frame next to the hinge. The peg that is designed to make contact with the switch behind it may be at fault, or the switch itself may be faulty. It is best considering the circumstances that you replace the entire unit, as they are typically sold as an assembly. It is a rather straight forward repair if you are looking to do it yourself. Simply remove the old switch and reconnect it to the new one. Make sure to unplug the battery before hand. With that said, you can also contact our service department to schedule an appointment, and we can resolve the issue for you.

• Dome lights will not turn on when door opened, radio will not turn off when car is off and door is opened.