Q: Check engine light came on while driving

asked by on August 16, 2016

Check engine light came on while driving. I got a list of problems but I'm still not sure. Couldn't be o2 sensors because it doesn't run up my gas and then when I go up a hill it doesn't affect the car so it's not the catalytic con. But I noticed something weird... When i put my leg to muffler it's not smooth how it used to be? It's like puffs in a way.... Oh and I do have to get a gasket for motor (oil) that's about it. Thank you.

The Check Engine Light is an indicator that something is affecting your emissions in a negative way. This can be as simple as a loose gas cap, to a misfire and many things contribute to the overall emissions output. The Check Engine Light also indicates that a diagnostic engine code has been stored. Reading the codes will help with knowing what system is causing the fault. A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to read the codes and perform some tests to determine the exact cause of your Check Engine Light.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr