Q: Noticing noise and brake dust coming from one of the front tires

asked by on November 02, 2016

I put new pads and rotors on about 5 months ago,lately I notice there is alot more brake dust on the passenger front tire than the other,also my rear passenger tire makes noise when I start rolling again after a stop,not sure what's going on!

Brake dust is a normal bi-product of the brake pads pressing against the rotors, however if there is an excessive amount on one side vs the other side, this may indicate a sticking brake caliper which causes the pad to drag against the rotor even when the brakes are not engaged. This may also be the case on your right rear wheel as well. Sometimes when the pads stick, they will make a bit of a noise as the wheel starts rolling again as they are grinding against the rotor while the wheel is in motion. As you may know this may cause premature brake wear and additional heat to be generated which can cause the rotors to warp.

This can be caused by a few different things, but the most common is usually the master cylinder not working properly. This can happen when the piston inside the master cylinder is not releasing properly which causes the system to maintain brake line pressure even after the brakes are released causing the calipers to grab the rotors after the brakes have been released.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location and diagnose your braking system