Q: timing chain marks

I pulled my timing coveron my 93 ford f150 and move crank to tdc but the cam mark is at 12 O' clock and before I took it apart the truck ran should I still align the marks to face each other? If so how was the truck still running being off that far?. The cchan has about 3/4 to a inch of play.

You should leave the gear where it is unless you plan on removing the distributor and indexing it again. The engine as of now is not on the TDC (Top Dead Center) of the compression stroke of the number one cylinder. If you turn the engine around one more time then it will align the way you want. The chain will normally have some slack with a worn chain.

If you need help with any issues, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to service your vehicle.