Q: Noise starting car

asked by on August 18, 2016

My car makes a strange bumping sound when I start it. Sometimes it won't make the noise. Then when I try again in 5 minutes it will make the same sound again. I took it to the repair shop, and they changed the starter and water pump, but I still have the same problem. So I took it to the dealership and they checked it with the computer and said it was my battery, so I got it replaced. The car ran good for a month. and then same problem started up again. The dealership can't figure out what it is. They called a day later and said they got a code from the chip in my key causing the trouble. Do you know if they are correct this time or could it be something else causing the problem?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

I’m guessing the bumping noise you’re referring to means it clicks and then finally starts. Or possibly that it cranks and then starts? These are two different issues. A click no start indicates a problem in the starting system. A vehicle that cranks normally but doesn’t start indicates a lack of fuel or spark. These issues require two separate diagnostic processes. I suggest you get a second diagnosis of the noise from someplace other than the dealership. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr