Q: Q: ABS brakes lock up

I have a 2012 Jeep Compass, the ABS, traction light goes on and off. When I start the jeep cold, the brakes drag or lock, for a moment, making a crunching noise. Please give advice, thanks K.Keller

Hi There, It sounds like your ABS system is being engaged inadvertently causing the brake calipers to lock up against the brake rotors. Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information simultaneously to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals causing the brakes to lock up or engage unintentionally as you have described. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system.

3. Q: ABS brakes lock up