Q: Red Battery indicator comes on. Car cuts off on the highway.

Red Battery indicator light comes on, then the car cuts off on the highway until i come to a stop on the side of the hwy. AAA tried to jump it and the driver's window rolled up some, then stopped. AAA tow truck driver said his electric car jumper registered that the battery was at 0%. Don't want to pay for an alternator that I don't have too. Please help?

Hello There, It sounds like you may have a failing alternator or voltage regulator. As you know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.