Q: Engine sludge?

Hi, I have no oil on dipstick, I changed oil plenty came out. Added recommended 6 qtrs checked dipstick over course of 24 hours dipstick still dry. I added oil to correct spot and on level ground I did not change oil filter. Little bit of sludge on tip of dipstick. What can I do to avoid engine rebuild? My oil pressure is between w0 and 40 between idle and driving not overheating

A: If you have excessive sludge in the engine,...

If you have excessive sludge in the engine, then the oil that you pour into the engine may not be able to drain down into the oil pan. You should change the oil and filter using 6 quarts of 0w30 oil and run the engine for about 1000 miles and change the oil doing this several times until you remove most of the sludge build up in the engine and then continue doing the oil and filter changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. If the engine has sludge built up to be solid, then the engine would need to be replaced or overhauled to remove the sludge.