Q: Starter

Car got harder and harder to start until one day it didn't. Checked battery and all wires, all are good. Hit the starter a little and it started right up. Working good right now. Does it need to be replaced?

If striking the starter motor case with a rubber mallet brings the starter to life, that typically means there is a bad spot on the starter motor armature. The vibration from striking the motor simply moves the armature just enough to get it off the bad spot. In all probability, replacing the starter is required. You can request a no start diagnostic and if the mechanic confirms that the starter is bad (or working intermittently) during that diagnostic the mechanic will install a new starter for you and then fully check out the starting system to be sure the problem is resolved. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.