Q: Car won't accelerate when I press the gas pedal.

Today, when I started the car, it struggled to start. Not the whining of a battery, but the car couldt seem to maintain rpm's. As I tried to accelerate, the engine didn't respond well. Then, later that night, I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start at all. I tried using jumper cables but without success. Not sure what is wrong.

The lack of acceleration or starting may be caused by many different things, but may be a sign of a failing throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to you home to diagnose your throttle control system.

3. Car won't accelerate when I press the gas pedal.