Q: Fan or water pump not working

Either the fan that cools the engine is not coming on or the water pump is not working. My car is overheating.

Hello. This engine typically overheats from a failing thermostat or possibly a more serious issue. I would typically start by checking the coolant level and running the engine until it gets hot. I would then make sure that the fan is coming on. If it is not then that needs to be replaced first. It may be a bad fan motor or a circuit issue. If it is coming on then I would replace the thermostat. If the problem continues then I would see if the coolant is flowing by using a temperature gun to see if the cooling hoses are getting hot. If nothing comes up then a block test should be done to see if the head gasket is leaking. If you are looking to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your overheating problem.