Q: Fan or water pump not working

Either the fan that cools the engine is not coming on or the water pump is not working. My car is overheating.

A: Hello. This engine typically overheats from...

Hello. This engine typically overheats from a failing thermostat or possibly a more serious issue. I would typically start by checking the coolant level and running the engine until it gets hot. I would then make sure that the fan is coming on. If it is not then that needs to be replaced first. It may be a bad fan motor or a circuit issue. If it is coming on then I would replace the thermostat. If the problem continues then I would see if the coolant is flowing by using a temperature gun to see if the cooling hoses are getting hot. If nothing comes up then a block test should be done to see if the head gasket is leaking. If you are looking to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your overheating problem.