Q: My 2004 Ford Focus is having electrical system problems

Last Thursday I was driving along the road when for no reason the engine died the electrics went off for a split second like when the car is started, the starter motor started whirring and stopped when the car was push started, got back home went to start the car there was nothing from the starter motor the battery was disconnected when it was reconnected the starter motor started whirring without the key in the ignition switch. A mechanic friend in my street diagnosed it to a faulty solenoid on the starter motor, the starter motor was less than 2 months old, I took it back to where I bought it from and got a direct replacement. The car seems ok now, all I need to know is what caused the problem from the start is it something to do with the cars electrics and will it return. My car is a Ford Focus mk1 1.8 TDCi 04 reg.

Hi there:

It’s very difficult for us to diagnose an electrical problem remotely, however, in general, the situation you experienced was mechanical in nature. When the starter solenoid is damaged or malfunctions, it continues to run (which is what that whirring sound was coming from). As long as the starter was not engaged on the flywheel or damaged the teeth, your Ford Focus should be fine. Sometimes the cause of this problem is physical wiring; as if the mechanic maybe attached a wire to the wrong connection. Keep an eye of your vehicle, and if you notice anything "weird," contact a different local mechanic to complete an electrical system inspection.