Q: the engine turns over but wont start

When I try to start the car the engine turns over but then doesn't fully start it makes a loud clicking/ticking noise, I can hear the fan going loudly and there is an oil smell.

You may have a distributor that is not giving off spark or the timing belt or chain has jumped timing and the valves are hitting the pistons. This is dependent on the vehicle and engine you have. Some are equipped with timing belts and others have timing chains. I recommend having a certified mechanic come and take a look at your vehicle to diagnose the starting issue firsthand. Good luck.