Q: My shifter is locked in park as a safety feature because my turn signals won't work.

I checked the fuses, all of the fuses are fine. When I turned the four-ways on all of my lights work like normal (including the turn signal indicators in the dash), yet when I try to turn on the turn signals like normal nothing happens at all. The little dot for the dash that indicates what gear the shifter is in went out and the car is stuck in park. I know this is a safety feature because the break lamp went out before and the shifter/shifter indicator light did the same thing until I replaced the fuse. I checked the car and it starts so its not the ignition switch fuse I believe. I am at a loss for ideas. Do you have any suggestions?

The system requires the brake lights to turn on to unlock the shifter. If you check the brake lights and the lights do not come on then check the brake light fuse to see if it is good. If the fuse is good and you have power to the fuse then check the brake light switch on the brake pedal bracket. You need to check switch operation and wires to connector are not broken or loose. If all checks okay then check that there is power going through the brake light switch. If you need further assistance diagnosing the lights and fixing the cause of the shifting problem.

• My shifter is locked in park as a safety feature because my turn signals won't work.