Q: Why does my car only run if we bypass the fuel pump relay on my 1998 Acura RL

My car would crank but not turn over. Id pump the gas but nothing. We changed the fuel filter but nothing. We figured it was a fuel pump or the four pronged relay. We bypassed the relay and it started so it can't be the fuel pump. So we bought a new relay plugged it all back in but nothing. So we are just running it bypassing the relay. 1 what could the issue be? 2 what ate we bypassing by not going through the relay?

Hi there. If the car will run with the relay bypassed then the fuel pump is fine. If the relay is fine also then the control for the circuit has a failure. Most of the time this is caused by an issue with the ignition switch or the vehicles main relay. Typically it is the ignition switch though. I would usually start by doing a voltage drop test of the ignition switch followed by testing the main relay. This will help to identify the problem. If you need to have this fuel system problem repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the car will not start] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection

3. Why does my car only run if we bypass the fuel pump relay on my 1998 Acura RL