Q: I can not shift unless my car is off.

When I go to put my car into 1st gear it won't budge. It will stay in neutral. If the car is off I can shift

Hi there. If the transmission will not shift with the engine running but it will shift with the engine off, then there is a problem with the clutch. Either the clutch is worn and will not disengage, or the clutch slave cylinder is not working properly. Check the slave cylinder and see if its moving properly. If the slave cylinder is moving and making the clutch fork move all the way, then the clutch needs replaced. If you need further assistance with your shifter not working properly, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I can not shift unless my car is off.