When I turn overdrive on my 2002 focus it makes a sound w...

Q: When I turn overdrive on my 2002 focus it makes a sound when I put my foot on the gas like its overworking itself.

asked by on August 25, 2017

I always drive with ovwrdrive on because I was told it helps your car. I noticed today it isnt on automatically anymore and when I turn it back on itll turn off Im guessing thats a fuse issue. I also noticed when I do turn it on and press on the gas my car sounds like its working harder almost like when you try to drive with it in neutral. Is my overdrive going out or something possibly? Thanks!!

Your transmission may be having a fault that is disabling the overdrive. If the computer is detecting a fault in the system it will do this or if the transmission is slipping or has internal problems will also do this. I would recommend having the computer tested for codes and see if it is a sensor issue or and internal transmission problem causing the issue.