Q: What does the Seat Belt warning light and chime mean?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the Seat Belt warning light and chime mean?

It’s vital that you and your passengers are buckled up for safety. Not only is it the law in most US states, but it’s just good common sense. Your Altima is designed to detect when there’s a seat belt not in use (in the driver front seat) and it will turn on the Seat Belt warning light, as well as sound a chime.

Both the light and the chime are designed to remind you and your passengers that you must buckle your seat belts. The light turns on when you start the car, and as long as you’re all buckled up, it will turn off shortly. If the driver’s seat belt is not fastened, the chime will sound and the light will stay on. If someone’s sitting in the passenger seat and not wearing their seat belt, the light will also stay on.