Q: Sunroof was open during rain and car won't start

I accidently left the sunroof open one night and it rained 2”. Fortunately, I had left the doors unlocked too, so I was able to get in, but nothing would turn on the next morning. There is no voltage in the battery and I tried jump-starting it with a friend’s car. The electrical system does seem to come on, but the car only cranks and just won’t start. What are the solutions for these problems?

If the ignition switch sustained damage from the water, it could cause the vehicle to start. Unfortunately, with this amount of water in the vehicle, it can short out wiring and cause extensive corrosion in the various systems. The vehicle will need to be thoroughly cleaned and any wet electrical connections repaired. This will require professional care to prevent long term damaged. If you need assistance, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose your car’s starting issue as well as any other problems that might have been incurred by the rain.