Q: Creaking sound from rear of car

asked by on July 16, 2016

About a year ago, there would be a thud sound that sounds like it was coming from the rear driver's side, near the door. This correlated with the rear window not working. During the winter, the sound got worse, like something was picking up and dropping. Now I'm hearing like almost a grinding sound, which started about a week or two ago, and the loud thud is not as bad. I was not concerned because I do not have difficulty steering, and when I would do my oil changes, I did not notice anything damaged and neither had anyone else. If I press my weight into the trunk, the trunk rebounds quickly, but on the driver's side, there is a creaking sound now I had not previously heard.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The noise may be coming from the upper shock mounts worn out in the rear. The bushing is not serviceable separate from the shocks and have to be replaced as an assembly. If you want to have this checked out by a professional, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and make the necessary repairs.