Q: Replaced brake pads/rotors on 2013 ford fusion. Error messages when tried to take out of service mode.Now won't start/dark display

I just replaced the brake pads+rotors on my 2013 Ford Fusion. I put the vehicle in maintenance mode which retracted the electric parking brake. I pushed the pistons in straight while bleeding all 4 systems through the bleed valve using correct tools. I pumped the brakes + topped off resivoir. When I went to take it out of maintenance mode I got error messages saying it did not set and to service the brake system. After that I noticed the dash display and radio reset. I tried it again and the e-brake light just flashed at me. I saw the center console reset and perform a sync system update. I tried to start the car and just saw the lights flicker and dim. I heard relays switching (hood was up) and the electric calipers start to move. After that the dash stayed black. Is this a coincidental dead battery? Fuses blown when the e calipers tried to reset? Relay? Did I missalign e calipers? Is that even possible? Can a little brake fluid cause a short on the e caliper connectors?

Hi Dan. Thanks for reaching out today. Brake fluid can indeed cause communication errors with ABS sensors, so that might be (one) cause of this issue. However, it’s also possible that the battery has gone dead (by coincidence as you stated as well) or an error code is stuck in the ECU. It is also possible that the fuses were blown. Typically, removing the battery cables is the best course of action as opposed to setting a vehicle in maintenance mode, although the service manual recommends that step; issues like you’ve described are common. You might want to have a professional mechanic download and clear any stored OBD-II trouble codes to see if this resolves or displays the root issue.

3. Replaced brake pads/rotors on 2013 ford fusion. Error messages when tried to take out of service mode.Now won't start/dark display