Q: Humming sound after 30 mph - 2007 Toyota Corolla

asked by on November 02, 2016

I noticed the sound a while back but it was only on the highway. The sound has now gotten louder and I am somewhat scared to drive the car. It hums but only after 30mph. Tires have been balanced and rotated this week. Also got the car inspected at Good Yr and they couldn't figure out the problem. They did say the tires have un-even tread wear. Could this be the only problem?

This is definitely something that may be caused by uneven tire tread wear. This may also be caused by improper alignment which is what tends to cause the uneven tire tread wear to begin with. This may also be potentially worn out wheel bearings. When wheel bearings begin to show signs of wear, they will also make this kind of humming sound in the early stages of wearing out.

This will eventually become more pronounced and louder and will be especially noticeable when making turns or cornering. I would suggest having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the tires are wearing unevenly and if this is the source of the noise.